Monday, October 9, 2017


From Lexington, Kentucky! Home! Home Sweet Home! 0 miles from home!

Today was a rather good day. There was a nasty fog this morning as you can see from this "Welcome to Indiana" sign:


The fog hung on until noon. Most of the time it was mixed with a miserable drizzle and sometimes a light rain. But I had my rain gear on and didn't get wet at all.



Y-I-K-E-S!!!  P-I-P-E-S!!!!

Almost every state welcome sign is in a difficult place to take a photograph. It looks like they would realize people want to take the snapshot and make a convenient pull-out so it would be safe. When I arrived in Kentucky, I had to park on the sidewalk to get this pic.


I arrived home about 3:30, and Sarah was waiting on the porch. She knew because she had been following me on the Garmin site. She used it regularly to keep up with me throughout the day. Sometimes I would call her and say, "I have arrived for the night." And she would say, "I know. I just saw that on the gps." If I dallied too long somewhere, she would text and ask, "What's going on? You are not moving." She has enjoyed being able to know exactly where I was, and I have felt it comforting to know that someone knew where I was and would know if something went wrong.

Here was my route:


I have added the necessary line to show that I left Andy's house near Easton, Maryland on Tuesday, May 30. I had my first motorcycle failure on Friday, June 2. I didn't start again until Sunday, September 3, and finished on Monday, October 9.

So I did it - coast to coast (4,888 miles) and the commute back home (2,638 miles), for a total of 7,526 miles on a 200 cc motorcycle.

I spent 29 days riding an average of 7 hours per day making an average of 260 miles per day at an average speed of 37 mph.  (Good grief! That's worse than I thought.)

When I got home, I told Sarah I was ready to sell the bike. I didn't think I could sit on it any more! But I don't know. I'll give it a few days before I decide what to do with it.

Just think of sitting on this little bike for 203 hours going 37 mph! That's what I did. But hey! It's done now, and all I have left is to celebrate and remember.

So the big question is "Why?"

Why did I do it?

Well....
Because it was out there.
Because somebody had to.
Because I was bored.
Because it was a challenge.
Because it was an adventure.
Because I didn't have anything better to do.

I don't know!

I guess I did it so I could have the following three photographs:




As a matter of fact, I am quite proud of those three photos.

And I think it was well worth it. Don't you?

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations on what can only be described as an EPIC journey!!
    I have had my little TW on two 6000km plus adventures,that pale in comparison to yours, but were none the less pretty darn awesome. You sir ROCK!! Steve

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's an incredible adventure. Thanks so much for taking the time to post your ride report. I take my hat off to you

    ReplyDelete