Sunday, October 1, 2017


From Norfolk, Nebraska. 876 miles from Lexington. Two, maybe three, riding days from home. That will depend on the weather first of all, and on my level of exhaustion on the second part. I'm getting pretty tired at this point of the journey, and pretty ready to be home and have this journey over with.



Today, I only rode about 200 miles because I took the morning to rest and to go to church. The members of Valentine Presbyterian Church were very kind to welcome a stranger in all his motorcycle gear. Pastor Karen was preaching her last sermon at the church, and it was a very gracious and inspiring message. Pastor Karen has a wonderful speaking voice and way of saying phrases that made them meaningful. But best of all, she could sing. Every preacher should be able to sing. I never could. Her unique ability helped to lead in worship, plus she sang two special songs which were wonderful.

I always like to find a special message just for me in the service. Today it came from the words to a hymn I did not know, but here are the words I liked:


They kindly invited me to stay for lunch, but I had miles to ride before I rested, miles to ride before I rested. It was another windy day, but not quite such strong winds as yesterday. It was coming from the south, and I was headed generally southeast to east. When the road turned southeast, I got the stiff wind on my chest and the bike slowed. When the road turned east, the wind hit my back, and I was rushing forward again.

It was only a four hour ride, so it wasn't bad. And the temperature was 69-74. Now that's good weather to ride in. I missed the huge thunderstorm that came through during the night last night. I was glad for that. And today was mostly sunny. But the forecast for tomorrow is for 70% chance of showers and thunderstorms. So far it looks like the rain will come in the afternoon, and there is a chance I might get far enough east that it won't hit me at all. That makes planning my day difficult. Not sure where I will be staying. I'll check the weather again in the morning and make final plans.

The bike is running great. The old man riding the bike is not doing as well. I am not as young as I used to be. I would love to make two long days and be done with this, but I am not sure my body will hold up for that. We'll see. But just think. When I get home, I can rest all I want!

Thanks for sharing the journey with me.


No comments:

Post a Comment