Thursday, September 7, 2017

From Shawnee, Oklahoma






When I got ready to leave Clinton, Arkansas early this morning, my battery was totally dead again, of course! But I quickly found someone who had jumper cables, and I was on my way. This battery problem is not going away.

I had a really nice morning riding the TAT but taking the green, easy, paths whenever I could. There were still plenty of gravel roads. And I was almost ready to proclaim the gravel roads in Northern Arkansas to be mighty fine. They were nice smooth, wide roads with very small gravel. Easy to ride on. And I was feeling a sense of mastery, letting the bike float and scoot and slide much like a kneeboard on water. I was feeling really good about the TAT.

I even had an early water crossing that was no problem, as you can see from this picture:


But then just before reaching Oark on the green trail, I somehow managed to get on a logging trail that was unquestionably the worst stretch I have seen. This was no longer a gravel road; it was a boulder road. Just look at the size of the rocks in this picture:


It was like a creek bed except the path went up and down mountains. I backtracked a bit to see if I had missed the right road, but there was no other road. So I plunged forward with lots of this and worse:


I went up and down a few mountains and wanted to go back, but I wouldn't because I just couldn't face going back over those awful spots. But it went on and on. Ever so slowly I made my way over the rock strewn mess. I could see on the gps that this "road" eventually caught up with the blue line and the regular TAT, but then I noticed that there was a creek just before reaching the TAT. I thought, "Oh, no. Another creek crossing." I was just hoping beyond hope that the creek was not flooded and could be crossed. Otherwise I would have no choice but to go back over the miles of rocks.

I was surprised when I turned a corner and found a closed gate. I was afraid I was ending on private property. But I unlocked the gate and made my way to the creek.


I walked all around it and examined the water, then concluded that it wasn't too deep. So once again I did a water crossing. This one got about 8 inches deep, but I plunged through and had no problem. Then after another half mile, I was on another of those very respectable gravel roads, and was on my way to Oark and a wonderful half pound hamburger.

Then I left the TAT because I had a commitment to get to Shawnee, Oklahoma for the family reunion and celebration of my mother-in-law's 101st birthday. Can you believe that? And she still lives at home by herself and is very healthy. So I got on the pavement and headed straight for Shawnee. It was wonderful pavement, but it was boring pavement - miles and miles of straight road running at a steady 55 mph. That's not the stuff adventures are made of. But then, I had had about enough adventure for this day.

I managed to keep the bike running most of the day. I did kill it at lunch and it started, but when I got gas this afternoon at Keota, OK, the battery was dead, and I had to push it to start it. I must get a new battery for the bike, no matter how long it takes to find one. So I may be in Shawnee for a few days. And I may get a mechanic to look over the bike just to make sure I am good for the long remote stretches ahead. I'll post again when I am underway, so don't be surprised if there is nothing for a few days.

No comments:

Post a Comment